Monday, March 13, 2006

Washington Cup and a fist full of tired

Round 2 of the Washington Cup is done, and I am completely knackered. Michael and I raced Mason and despite the plan to sit in, well we didn't. The race itself may have been slow, but both of us did a lot of work.

We went in to Sequim with the goal of winning the race. Rob Campbell is a better sprinter than Michael, who leads the points, so we decided it was up to them to control the race. Our plan was to get a break up the road. The break went on Lap 1 and we had both Erik S. and Sundt in it so we looked good. Jonny flatted which hurt our chance for the win, but Erik's an (old) war horse and got 6th.

Jonny ended up 7th and I got into a nice little move to get 9th. Tony Ogden pipped me for 8th on the line after I had the sprint laid out for me on a platter. I think he misinterprited my sitting out a couple turns as bluffing for the sprint. The reality is that the break started putzing around with 3 or 4K to go and that allowed me to recover. I also had been doing a lot more work during the race in general so had effectively been going longer than everyone except I think the Taco Bell guy.

All that aside, Tony has turned into a good rider.

So we hold the cup lead by 14 points, with Anton Jackson now in 2nd. That's good for us because we have the advantage at Rainier Roubaix but Broadmark has reason to help at Market for the jersey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home