Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kick-ass: Kids Killing People is Teh Bomb!


In line with my apparent belief that you are all a bunch of unethical jerks, I'd like to point out that I also can't bring myself to reward Mark Millar by paying to see Kick-Ass. By all accounts Millar intends his work to be satire. I am not an English major or professional writer. I don't know the technical explanation for why this isn't really satire, but I am sure there is one.

Bottom line, Millar's work, regardless of his intention, glorifies bad behaviour from kid's killing without remorse to tacitly approving of rape. Again, he may not intend for that to be the message but he consistently protrays these activities as acceptable and glamorous.

I think that's wrong.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Martin Criminale said...

I agree.

But since you may have lumped me in with the unethical jerk portion of readers of your blog that may not count for much.

 
At Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:57:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Not yet I haven't. But watch yourself Criminale! I have my eye on you now. Of course, letting me win PR would be a great way to make up for your obvious lack of character and judgement!

 
At Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:38:00 PM, Blogger Brian said...

What's the difference between Bruce Willis killing people on screen and a purple wigged girl shooting the snot out of someone?

The purple hair is a lot funnier than Bruce.

Just a movie PD.

Oh snap.

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:01:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

@Brian - maybe it's the result of having a kid but I am keenly aware of the influence movies have on people. and there is plently of data to back up the influence of movies on peoples attitudes. my issue here is that the movie sends the message that the behaviour of characters is cool and acceptable.

And I don't really find Bruce Willis enjoyable, btw.

Film.com (http://www.film.com/features/story/kick-ass-really-too-violent/33130355?pcode=film&cpath=rss&rsrc=movierss_film) agrees with you but I think it's telling that their defence of the movie focuses on whether the movie is too violent. The complaint isn't the violence perse. It's the presentation of violence perpetrated by and against kids that is the complaint.

And beyond that, Robocop was a satire of 80's era privatization and militirism. The reality of the movie was presented as tragic and undesirable not as cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home