Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ethical hooking or just an asshole?

Over the course of my cycling journey I have hooked or been hooked riders in the finish. I've closed down the chase and I've done my best to slow down the other riders contending against a team-mate for the win.

I understand this is debatable. I fall on the side that it is ok as long as it's not aggressive enough to cause a decent bike handler to crash.

However it is not cool to hook riders in the finish when you are sitting at the back. No one there is impacting the race: your actions don't help your team-mates. And unlike the finish, wear a few riders are contending, you are doing it *in traffic* putting multiple riders at risk.

This happened at Volunteer Park and it still pisses me off. First, because the rider did it three times in the last lap, nearly causing two crashes at the back. Second because he admitted he did it on purpose. But as importantly, third, because his logic was he had the strong position and if we could we shouldn't be moved off our line.

New flash asshole: we moved because if we had held our lines *you* would have crashed. And frankly, I don't care about that. But the guys behind you would have too. And that is incool. But so noted and next time I'll let you learn the hard way.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit your bitchin' and get to the front!

 
At Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:41:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Well, that's would be one approach. Or I could just keep bitchin' and not ride as hard!

 
At Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:52:00 PM, Blogger Dessa said...

Hey PruDog, I did not do it on purpose, and I never said so. I'm sorry if I've caused you distress and you misunderstood me. You can ask anybody I'm not aggressive type :-) You are the first guy who promised to crash me, and it really upsets me. Hope we'll get better race next time.
Cheers, dessa

 
At Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:57:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Dessa,

First off thanks for coming to the site and saying something. If I misunderstood your comment and it wasn't intentional then we're cool. I didn't think it was intentional when you did it and only got hot when you said you did it on purpose. Again, if that was a misunderstanding then all's good.

It's a tough situation for the reacting rider; I've held my line in those situations and the guy shifting ends up on the deck with guys behind them going over the top. Even if it's the shifting riders "fault" it still sucks. But if the reacting rider moves then the riders next to him are at risk.

At the end of the day, as I said above, if it wasn't intentional then I can forgive and forget. And I'll take your word for it!

 
At Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:03:00 PM, Blogger Dessa said...

Good. I'm glad we cleared this up as I did not try to create any dangerous situations intentionally. I did not try to crash or hook you, I think I did not realize someone was way too close behind or going for the same spot. I'm happy that everyone was safe in the end. See you next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home