Friday, June 30, 2006

Stupid move

University Audi and Audi are basically saying that the sunroof was chipped and we have to pay $1,500 to fix it. First off, it wasn't chipped. We had a bike on top and had been checking regularly. But I can't believe that given the lawsuit potential here (I had to pull shards of glass out of my arm) and the level of corraboration (Carrie and I both can testify that the glass wasn't chipped, everyone saw me covered in glass, the Reno dealership saw it the next day) they would even try to nickle and dime us on this. I think it's a pretty stupid move. And the argument that it's never happened before so it can't happen now is also pretty lame. Has it really never happened before or does Audi just ignore it?

Second off, it's freakin' Audi. Aren't they supposed to be "better" than the rest? Apparently when it comes down to right and wrong, protecting $1500 is more important to them.

Update: Well, it took me about an hour to find out the service manager lied to me twice. First, while Audi USA will make the call on whether it's a straight warranty, the dealerships are responisble a) for inspecting the car to give info and b) deciding if it is an out of warranty problem that should still be covered. I was told by the service manager that it was entirely Audi USA's decision and there was nothing he could do. University Audi hasn't even looked at the car and he said it wouldn't matter since it was entirely a Audi USA decision. Second, the service manager stated that every similar case resulted from an existing crack. That's not true. There have in fact been other incidents of sunroofs exploding. To be fair, they were on the A4, but they do exist. And the ones I found resulted from the sunroof being overtightened on installation. Interestingly I suggested that it might have been the frame that caused and he told me that's impossible. But apparently has in fact happened.

The more I think about it the more this strikes me a bullshit.. in the technical sense. The service manager has already decided he won't fix the sunroof without charging. This decision was arbitrary. Everything else is just a bunch of words to justify that position. No serious effort was made (like, oh I don't know, looking at the freakin' sunroof and frame) to be fair. Just whatever he thought would get me to pay.

7 Comments:

At Friday, June 30, 2006 2:47:00 PM, Blogger Old as dirt said...

Don't talk to me about car dealerships, I currently getting screwed by the VW dealer in Ballard.

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 3:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally... don't go there... we had a protracted dispute with Volvo which was inadequately handled. needless to say, we will never be purchasing another volvo...

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 4:57:00 PM, Blogger Old as dirt said...

I think they are all the same, just want your money. Just like P-Dog ;-)

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 5:45:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Well, the worst part is I caught out the service manager in a bald faced lie. And I confronted him on it. How hard is it just to be honest?

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 9:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that it matters much, but I've had pretty good luck over at Barrier Audi in Bellevue...regardless, makes me nervous now when I look up through my "open sky system"

 
At Saturday, July 01, 2006 5:03:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

It's going to be pretty hard for us to go back to Univeristy Audi. I mean, even if they fix this problem the Service manager told me at least 2 (and I'd argue I've now caught him in a 3rd) outright lies.

 
At Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

While driving on the freeway (1-64 VIrginia) my sunroof exploded. Dangerous. I am driving a almost new 2006 A4.

Going to the dealer first thing on Monday. Glad to see there is some data on the internet on this safety hazzard. I have read that this has happened before...

Thanks,
J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home