Monday, June 26, 2006

Stage 3 & 4 and Jonny looks pretty in pink

I am pretty sure I was the first one dropped Friday. Seriously, THE FIRST ONE. I felt like complete crap. In retrospect going with the first attack by HealthNet probably was a bad idea. The Hedgehog certainly thought so. As did Big O. And El Gato. But, hey what do they know! It seemed like a good idea at the time. Get in an early move, get on the climb and hang on as I slid back. Sadly, the field caught us very quickly, and instead of slowing it got faster. I got dislodged over the first big roller and lost so much time in like 2 miles the cops thought I was a rec rider and sent me off course. So about 45 minutes of being pretty sure I was off course I turned around and rode back.

In contrast Big O rode real well, making the break and riding solid to finish 12th. He was able to lend some help to Tommy "Thor's Hammer" Zirbel which I am sure Priority appreciated. Jonny made a valient effort to bridge but that was for naught. Derik had slightly better luck than I did, getting hit by another rider and trashing his wheel. After a quick change he chased but ended up off the back.

The good news was I was able to run feed, and it was pretty cool chatting with Lance (Sinclair) who was feeding Priority and The Broadmark crowd (ps, if I call you Borgmark willl you get pissed? I mean I give everyone nicknames...). Cree was shocked to see me out. After all, with such a big climb it was tailer made for me :) smart ass... I am Boonen-like not Basso-esque.

Wierd Note: on the drive back the sunroof in the Audi exploded. Seriously, it just shattered. I spent 15 minutes pulling glass out of my arm. Jonny said I looked like I had glittered myself.

So for me Stage 3 trully sucked. It's the first one I actually didn't enjoy or come away with something from.

But Stage 4 was great. Which is sad, cause I lasted 21.20 minutes. That's right, I know down to the second how long I lasted. But, I was ready for it after Truckee, and was one of the last amateurs pulled. I didn't reach my goal of 30 minutesm but knowing that I lasted longer than most of the field was consolation. Which goes to how hard the crit was. I definitely felt like I could improve and it wasn't impossible. I also noted that several of the big California "pro" teams were out and dressed when I was pulled. So kudos to Broadmark which had at least Chad and Dixon left when I was pulled and I think both finished well.

Anyway, I learned a lot at the race. It was definitely different from the last NRC race I did, Willamette in '99. I plan on coming back next year cause I think I can improve (35 minutes in the crit ????). As long as you get something out of it right?

As an added bonus Jonny won the pink riders jersey as most popular rider!

Next up for AxleyUSA.com Super Hyper Team Go: Cascade Classic. Fun times.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:39:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

I don't know why I wrote Dixon, I was thinking Morgan. Morgan told me about the Giant guy who was berating his teammating for "pulling" Morgan back up to the main group. I had talked to him after the race and he was bitchin' about that.. since Giant had no one who was in contention for the White jersey. he packed cause he didn't feel like getting yelled at by his team over a jersey Morgan had locked up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home