Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rainier Roubaix Post Wrap

I am a domestique. My race can usually be summed up in a single moment when, regardless of my physical/mental state I am called upon to blow my wad. At Rainier Roubaix that moment came 2hrs and 15 minutes into the race as the lead group of 11 left the dirt and entered the road. A small gap had formed between Michael and a small group. I don't honestly know who was in front or who was behind. There were maybe 3 guys up ahead and the split was caused more by the wind than anything. I'd been feeling good all race, but there wasn't any rest and I knew that my time in the lead group was numbered. We had only 4 laps of the dirt to go (which oddly was easier for me than the road) and 22 miles total. But Michael swung off and told me to close the gap down. I was out of the saddle immediately and closed it down to about 1 bike length, and then Michael crossed. After that I held on for dear life for 2, maybe 3 more miles and finally had to let the lead go.

At a race like Rainier, you really don't recover so you have to be careful not to redline it. I ended up 10th, after Rob Campbell caught me with 1K to go (he was in a 1st lap crash and spent the day chasing with Andrew Lathrop and another rider). Had I known he was behind I might have gunned it a little faster to get in but lesson learned I guess.

A race like that, if everything goes right a guy like me can win if everything goes right. Next year, a little stronger I hope it will be a guy like me should win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home