Saturday, November 07, 2009

More Kenny Blogging

I haven't seen this online but Lang sent it to the wsba listserv so I assume it's ok to post. Lang, if not let me know and I'll remove it. I'm posting it because I think it's well written and is a needed counterpoint to the really disappointing responses, especially the one from Phil Miller. How is someone who cheated and honroable person?

I sent my response to Kenny's apology to the WSBA list yesterday. For some reason it hasn't gone through yet. Here is what I wrote.
--------------------------------------------

To all,
I'm surprised and disappointed by this news. I'm disappointed in Kenny and maybe even more disappointed in the responses to his apology. Phil in particular, as a "UCI commissaire," I am deeply disturbed by your response. In his email Kenny admits taking a banned substance (DHEA). He admits purchasing and using this substance of his own volition. He knew exactly what he was doing and he knew it was against the rules (in a well-publicized incident in April, Tyler Hamilton tested positive for DHEA).

So let's be honest - he cheated. He got caught, and apologized only after getting caught. The fact that he admitted several months after the fact and when faced with the positive test is disingenuous at best. I suppose in some pseudo-morality twisted by the previous transgressions of other cheating athletes it is better than denying you have cheated, but in reality cheating is never acceptable.

For those who choose to take banned substances there must be appropriate consequences. Immediate acceptance back into the fold simply for apologizing (after getting caught) is not appropriate. In addition to the two national championships he won in August, Kenny has taken something away from the countless clean athletes who work as hard as possible every day and destroy themselves in races to achieve the best of their ability, something essential to this sport that cannot be given back. Doping in cycling cannot continue and must not be tolerated to any extent.

Scott, you speak of "fairness" and Phil of "honor." It's incredibly offensive that you would use these terms in response to a doping violation; neither fairness nor honor are served by anything about this hollow post facto apology.

Kenny, as a person I wish you all the best. As an athlete, I cannot accept your violation of the privilege of competition.

Lang Reynolds

4 Comments:

At Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Brian said...

The Optygen just wasn't enough...

 
At Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:53:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

It never is Brian, it never is.

 
At Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous MT said...

Way back when Kenny first burst onto the scene and started to win almost instantly, I had a little voice in the back of my mind questioning his performance.

 
At Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous GT said...

P-Dog . We don't want Kenny to go the way of pirate man, the spanish dude or maybe VDB. Be supportive of the guy but not the racer. GT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home