Thursday, November 05, 2009

Let's be honest..

Ok, so now that the news is out I'll wade into the subject of Kenny Williams, doping, apologies, etc a little less obtusely.

First off, I am somewhat surprised by the general "Kenny we love you it's no big deal" position a lot of people have taken.

I think a couple points are worth tackling here.

1. "Kenny's a great guy and as a result we should forgve him" Ummm... does that mean that if we take a poll and it turns out most people hate Kenny then we should hold him out as worse than Hitler? I don't see how whether or not I like Kenny or think he's a good guy relates to whether or not he should be forgiven by the cycling community. His crime wasn't against me personally. And let's be honest, a lot of people don't like Kenny.

2. The test was voluntary so that implies... well I am not sure what that is meant to imply since he has admitted he doped intentionally. And the test wasn't voluntary... it was mandatory if you wanted credt for your record. So yes, I suppose it was technically voluntary but in the same sense a breathilizer test is voluntary... you can refuse but they'll suspend your licence if you do.

3. "I trust him". Well good for you. A hell of a lot of us don't and have been suspicious for years. I could use vague language and pretend like it's other people. But I am not going to hide. I don't believe him when he says it's the first time. I thought he was juiced back in the early 90's when I first met him on a training ride with Eric Paige. That said, no one but Kenny knows for sure so trust is not really relevent.

All that said, I do appreciate his apology and think he should get credit for not getting someone to write something a lot more polished and professional. I also think that his ban should be shorter because he fessed up. Otherwise there is no incentive to do so.

And I am also not going to work up any faux outrage about his stealing wins from me. I've joked about wanting my Seward Park water bottles but at the end of the day I don't really care whether Kenny cost me a win because he cheated (probably because I always suspected he did). Maybe it's because I know plenty of local riders who were also juiced (by their own admission) so I never had any real illusion of purity. But that's not relevent either. The bottom line is I am not going to personally think less of Kenny. But on the otherhand I am not going to be sympathetic to him or act like it's ok either.

Actually I changed my mind I want my PowerBar water bottle prime from SIR circa 1997. You know the one Kenny.

Update: I am not the only one surprised by the Kenny love.

7 Comments:

At Friday, November 06, 2009 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Schmirnov said...

Word up Pru-Dog!

 
At Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you were making sense until this part: "All that said, I do appreciate his apology and think he should get credit for not getting someone to write something a lot more polished and professional."

it's like when I took the SAT's for that kid and he said "make it look believable". If you think he wrote that then I sincerely hope that you don't get tested, or that crack is on the banned list..

 
At Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:31:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Well, it was very very good crack.

 
At Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, by 'faux outrage', you're talking about Rob, right?

http://joepapp.blogspot.com/2009/11/cyclist-kenny-williams-did-test.html

 
At Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:24:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

@Anon 5:53: I think Rob is probably high on the list of people who got shafted regularly by Kenny. Unless you are implying that Rob is juiced. No sarcasm/inuendo/etc: I have no reason to believe Rob juices/juiced or even likes juice. I haven't even heard off the record comments about Rob from people who might know, unlike Kenny whom I regularly heard stories about from inside Teh Bus. To be even more clear, there is only one rider whom is still active that I know has touched the sauce and he has admitted to it so long ago everyone has forgotten by now.

 
At Friday, November 13, 2009 9:41:00 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

Anon, how can my outrage be interpreted as "faux?" Being beaten by a guy who may have been juiced while trying to win the State RR for my just deceased mother is just one reason for real outrage. The hardest sauce I've touched is caffeine and B-12. Pretty dirty yeah.

 
At Monday, November 16, 2009 7:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are all just a bunch of jealous idiots with nothing to base your allegations on. You just want to have an excuse for your poor performance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home