Monday, August 28, 2006

High Desert Omnium

I've decided to take another tilt at 24 Hour Worlds this year. Got my MTB frame, getting built up and then seeing if I can't finally finish one of those stupid things. Not sure what my fixation is on 24 Hour races... I don't like enduro sports. I am hoping they have a team competition this year.

Anyway, I am trying to tease my form back rather than riding myself onto the rivet like I normally do. So after Cake we decided to hit the High Desert Omnium. It was a cool race. I skipped the TT and did the crit and RR. Thank god there were only 25 or 30 guys at the crit cause I think we would have crashed every lap if we had more. The whole thing was short, tight and offcamber. It reminded me of the old REI crit series way back in the day. On the other hand the road race blew apart precisely because there were too few guys. Omer, David, Curry and Holland got in a break early and the lead got so big they couldn't give time checks cause the radio was out of range. With 3 to go the dude inb 2nd on GC attacked and Ian went with him. I knew that the race would be destroyed so I went on Ian's wheel and road maybe 2 or 3 miles just absolutely maxed out. I blew up and got dropped from that group. I recovered, but by that time it was going to be a bunch of us just riding laps in 2s and 3s and I decided I'd prefer to go home. Key word is teasing back into form.

Sorry the report isn't snarky; but as I told Carrie.. it's hard to tease (see, not just a way to get in form but a great word to use in general) much out of a flat, 70 mile road race with 20 to 25 dudes. Basically, we all just wait for the really strong guys to attack and then hang on. Broadmark rode much a very smart race on day 2 to get Curry in the break. I know Ian was getting antsy cause the field was going so slow for 2 or 3 laps (I was in zone 1 at on point in 5th wheel) but he mostly held it in. I think Curry took the overall but that's the advantage of having the lead and a guy in the break with enough points to win too.. CMG had to chase Curry and Ian just had to follow them.

Omer got 2nd but burried himself per usual. Holland sat on, but wisely didn't try to take the win.. that trick gets real old real fast. Tactics aside, it's good to see him riding aqfter the crash at Elma.

And best of all, the wife got to hang out with her friends at a summer cottage by the pool while I raced. So points for that; everyone's happy!

4 Comments:

At Monday, August 28, 2006 9:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

caught on photo! classic sundt:
http://wheelsinfocus.com/2006/images/94AD3317sp827.jpg

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:25:00 AM, Blogger Old as dirt said...

No, the stunt he pulled trying to take out the whole pack was typical of the old Jonny, and I thought he was mellowing out.
Not cool at all.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:25:00 AM, Blogger P-Dog said...

Damnit! Sundt has upstaged our non-existant antics at HDO! That's no good at all.. must come up with witty response to prove the only way to get on my blog is to come to the races I am at....

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:09:00 AM, Blogger Kem Sports Management said...

yeah, we should have shanked somebody after the kind of racing we saw over the weekend. what were we thinking....??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home