Thursday, December 29, 2005

Getting older and bigger but not fatter.

One of the wierdest things for me in my 2nd time as an amateur cyclist is the changes in my body.

I have always had a propensity to gain weight. Part is build part is what I assume is genetic predisposition to eat non-stop. All of which is relative to a cyclists body-view because fat to me is 12% body fat which to your avg american is probably rail thin.

Anyway, I stopped racing when my son was born.. really I stopped riding at all. In my pre-break years I had an abundance of muscular endurance and could climb well above average. My race weight was approx 148lbs which was 9% body fat. I had absolutely no sprint to speak of and won only 1 road race in 1km solo attack. I regularly finished on the podium of time trials though.

During The Break I hit 200lbs (which was the catalyst for my return to racing). I've slowly lost weight and now am sitting at 170lbs. My body fat is still too high... 11-12% or so. But the wierd thing is if I got down to 150 my body fat would be 3%. Anyway, the same body fat as when I was younger puts me at over 12lbs heavier.. so I've gained 12lbs.

My strengths have changed too.. I have a much better (although not awesome) sprint. I can win more races, I won 5 last year. 2 in outright sprints. I still don't have the acceleration and need a fast lead in or the early jump but I can generate the power to drag race over 200 meters. I can climb nearly as well or time trial but I can go super hard, recover and go hard again. So I am harder to shake.

It's just something I find odd.. I expected to get more muscular endurance as I got older, not more power. And I certainly didn't expect to get bigger. I am sure a lot of the change is in my upper body. Carrying a kid and mountain bikeing have certainly added mass. And bones get denser. But12 lbs is a lot and that eman in theory I am stronger...

Perhaps I am not slower in the muscular endurance category.. everyone else just got stronger while I improved in the power area?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home