Thursday, July 07, 2005

What I expected.

Based on my experience with the owner's other business venture I agree 100% with Steve Kelley. Specifically, this quote rings true of my last 2 years at The Big S: It is the Sonics who weren't loyal to McMillan. They didn't get him players when he asked for help. They didn't honor his success at the end of this season. They played up his love for Seattle and figured they could lowball him because of that love.'

Prior to that there was a real loyalty in both directions. The pay was lower the market but there was a open knowledge that we recieved many benefits both tangible and intangible to make up for it. In the end though, those benefits shrank but pay didn't increase until SOP became the same as we saw with McMillan. It's sad and is exactly what I expected. The only surprise to me is Ray Allen's resigning.

Why should McMillan stay? If fans are angry they should direct that ire at Howard and ownership. They chose not to show Nate loyalty by resigning him. Maybe he didn't deserve it on the record, but my point is that they made a business decision that showed no special loyalty and expecting him to do differently knowing how they operate is somewhat onesided.

The other issue I have with the argument I've heard that Nate didn't show the ability to coach the Sonics to the playoffs until this year misses the fact that Sonic's management is paid to evaluate talent, Nate included. If they didn't see this as possible then you have to question their ability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home