Thursday, June 30, 2005

Dori Monson: hypocrite or fool?

I can think of 2 talk show hosts that I actually find to be reliable: Dave Ross and Al Franken. Both are thoughtful and well informed about the subjects they talk about. Whiel I don't always agree with their conclussion I appreciate that they try to do serious research before blathering on.

Then there is Dori Monson. I'll be honest and say I don't know that he is worse than any other hosts out there but for some reason he really bugs me. First is his incessant insistance that he has some kind of statistical understanding when it's pretty clear he doesn't. He is a prime example of the "you can make statistics mean anything". No you can't. You can either lie about what statistics say or you can change the meaning of statistics to apply to a broader range of information that does not meet the scientific standard of validity.

Anyway, today's Dori moment for me is his raking on King County for being found guilty of producing a fraudulent report on traffic to justify some development. I don't know if Dori's representation of the case is accurate. My guess is that it is not based on his tendency not to do any real research. While he had a guest on who talked about it, that guest was not a neutral 3rd party. Neither Kiro, Seatte Times had any obvious coverage of the "verdict" to do any fact checking on. Just to be clear, I am questioning the accuracy of Dori's premise. My guess is that he is misrepresenting the situation (odds? 3-1).

Now if (and that's a big if) Dori is accurately representing the situation then yes it is horrible and corrupt. I have had no tolerance for "cooking of the books" by public servants and would have no tolerance in this case. But how can Dori possibly justify his indignation given his support for both Dino Rossi's election contest and the Bush Administration's war effort? Rossi repeatedly abused the court system to get publicity for accusations that proved to be knowingly false (like the list of fellon voters). How is that not corruption? And the Bush administration clearly ordered the doctoring of intelligence reports to justify the war in Iraq. How is that not corruption?

So which is it Dori? Are you a fool for reporting something incorrectly or are you a hypocrit for not applying your wrath equally?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home