Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Sweetest Taboo

After years of wondering why the race schedule peters out mid-July I now have the answer. Everyone is on vacation or at weddings. It's true; I suspect that the young kids are at NRC and the old dudes have families that suck their time once the weather clears up.

That said, I finish every year (even one I race lightly in) thinking I could have done more! I want to do more!

So, maybe it's time to address the greatest Taboo of all! No, not my spelling! Shut up you! I mean racing earlier. I mean, I've seen you guys. It's not like you aren't racing your training rides anyway. Any yah it rains but.. it racing until June already! Would turnout suffer? Maybe. But it can't be worse that turnout in August.

So why not a LWV style road series starting mid-Feb? Frankly I'd do it. I love racing in crap weather. But I've always thought I was the exception to the rule. Maybe more accurately, I assumed I'd do it and love it and no one else would. Now i am starting to wonder if everyone would do it, complain, but love it any way.

Update I: Looks like OBRA beat me to the punch.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:20:00 AM, Blogger Martin Criminale said...

If the race is too early (read: February) then attendance will suffer as some people don't want to peak in April or May.

March and April are crazy with races, every Saturday and Sunday so it's kinda nice to actually get in some training prior to that...

My $.02 anyway.

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People will show up - just look at the Rocket Race. The short-format of the LWV are popular too. I bet you could get good numbers running carnation and skagit before mason.

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:24:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

I know this will display my self-centered lack of awareness but.. what's the Rocket Race?

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Andrew F Martin said...

http://www.herriottsportsperformance.com/news/rocket-ride-returns

I did it once this year and there had to be 80 guys.

 
At Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell ya, racing in the snow! If we are racing in March and April we might as well race in February.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home