Friday, July 02, 2010

I don't need your help!

Not that the riders this post is aimed at will pay attention but let me just say that, in the 20 years I have been racing, I have seen maybe 20-30 guys who've gone from cat 5 to Cat 2 or 1 in a year or so. And most of those guys have ridden like Douchebags because they were strong enough to ride like that and still win. And each has thought "I'm the first guy who has ever done this and all those guys who have been around are idiots and I don't need to listen to them".

Sooner or later all of them stopped winning because sooner or later the raw talent wasn't enough when they finally got to the level where everyone has that raw talent. Some figured it out and learned to race their bikes. Most just faded away. And there was always an excuse (my favorites are the ones who quite because cycling isn't challenging enough).

I'm just suggesting here that just cause you haven't been racing more than two years doesn't mean the rest of us haven't. And just cause some of the guys aren't winning every race doesn't mean they haven't been there. And maybe, just maybe, it would be more impressive if you learn to win on skill and not just raw talent. Cause raw talent is something you are born with but skill is something that reflects your actual ability to learn.

4 Comments:

At Friday, July 02, 2010 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Martin Criminale said...

Take that back!

Oops, this wasn't about me... Not much raw (or otherwise) talent here. :)

 
At Friday, July 02, 2010 1:35:00 PM, Blogger P-Dog said...

In fairness I may be talking about myself.

 
At Saturday, July 03, 2010 1:29:00 AM, Blogger justfivegrins said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Saturday, July 03, 2010 1:31:00 AM, Blogger justfivegrins said...

I thought it was about me until I realized you wrote skill not SKIL. I've got plenty of SKIL's in my garage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home