Saturday, April 09, 2011

Volunteer Masters A Recap

No funny race report. This was the first real target race for us so I didn't really spend time coming up with a good joke for you guys. Sorry. It's also one of the few 30+ races so we had Jamie & Ian as well, which means our tactics are a little different than they will be later.. well not really the tactics but the assignments.

We went 1 (Jamie), 2 (Ian) and 4 (Mike). Jamie went solo, Ian outlasted a small chase group and then we led Mike home for the field sprint. The race was fast, but consistently so. Often there are a few hang on for dear life moments and a few how can we go so slow moments. So I guess it was a good race.

If you were at the race, you know about the epic meltdown over the age grouping of the field that required an official to intervene (well handled Trish!). I won't go into that other than to generally say that riders are constantly complaining that races don't meet their definition of fairness. There where complaints about our women and men working together at Mason #1 for example.

Listen, you race the race that the promoter offers. If you don't like the set-up, the constructive way to deal with it is to lobby the promoter to change it and lobby the WSBA to change their guidelines. For what it's worth KR's official position which we lobbied the WSBA for was 35+ Masters races. We'd be much happier that way. But we aren't going to yell and scream at guys who are under 35 because the race is 30+. Taking it out on the other riders just makes you look like a dick. And that's Stanglands niche thank you very much.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:30:00 PM, Blogger Martin Criminale said...

Other than my inability to go with Jamie and Ian I quite enjoyed today. The pace WAS consistent, a nice change. And if you ignore the last lap, we did alright. I was in one break and then a teammate was in another and his almost lasted. Good times.

 
At Monday, April 11, 2011 9:07:00 AM, Anonymous IAN! said...

I HATED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

 
At Monday, April 11, 2011 9:46:00 AM, Anonymous RobV. said...

Did Ian hate it because he could've won? I didn't like it because I forgot my sunglasses and my contact came out. And the fact I was jetlagged makes me upset because I could've contributed more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home