Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The 30 hour work week

With the seemingly daily massive lay-offs, I've been meaning to write a post about the 30 hour work week. I may get aroud to it. But shorter PDog: why not now? The studies (which I will site when/if? I get around to that larger post) clearly show that productivety averages out to about 6 hours a day per worker. The rest of the time we work is just filling out time cards. Studies on health have also shown that countries with 30-35 hour work weeks also have higher reported levels of worker satisfaction and general life happiness.

In short, 40+ hour weeks are a drain on capital resources because they don't increase production (as productivity averages out for whatever reason: maybe I got 10 hours work done on monday but by Friday my 10 hour days are getting 2 actual hours of work done) and lower work weeks lead to better health, happiness and general well being.

I don't think we are going to get a better opportunity than now to break the cultural bias that keeps us working more than we should.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People actually work 40 hours in ONE WEEK? You mean they'd have to expand 11-4? When would they ride?
-Mr. S. Someone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home